Skip to content
otoDB: the otomad/ytpmv database

Tags related to singing and speech

#1

Trying to consider what sort of tags should exist in regards to various types of singing and speech elements that exist in works. The discussion in t188.1 partially prompted this.

1: Should Human Powered VOCALOID be considered the de facto tag for any work that involves singing? If that's the case, then this should be made very clear in the wiki, and I would think tags such as custom lyrics should be parented to this tag.

2: What types of tags specific to lyrics should we have? Custom lyrics certainly, but one for unaltered lyrics, which I've created now as canonical lyrics, also seems necessary. I had the thought for other tags, such as works without the lyrics covered at all, or lyrics where they're simply covered via a non-dialogue sample, but no examples spring to my mind immediately, so I'm uncertain whether these are even needed at this time. Do we need any others?

3: I feel there is a need for tags that define the type of "singing" done in a work. The majority of works feature vocals that are tuned to match the song, but some like w25622 feature uncorrected pitch and are simply the dialogue spliced together to create cohesive lyrics. Scenarios like this feel like edge cases, of which some we already account for and have colloquial names within the community, such as the Kabikiramekirari technique (chopping up the vocals of the same song and repurposing them to sing about something else) and Bigabiga technique (using a very short sample of dialogue and repeating throughout the entire work). I am essentially asking here what we think about the scenario I proposed at the beginning here, if it is deserving of a tag, and if there may be other scenarios like the ones listed here that we currently are not recording.

A general thought I have in all of this as well is that, sentence mixing tends to ultimately tie into anything involving singing, but not every work that has sentence mixing is a work that has singing. Currently I don't believe we have any way to identify such works, but by creating some more rigorous definitions in the tags we have related to singing and lyrics, that we may come to a verdict of how to address this.